Monday, June 6, 2011

Grampa Anton Westerman

Grampa....that's what I called him. He was one of my earliest heroes. A very hard working man that loved his family very much. He loved to play cards, mostly sheephead and pitch. He also would play rummey with me and my Gramma, and Gramma didn't like it that sometimes he would help me win. lol

All of us grandkids used to watch him while he was playing cards because he would always rap the table in a certain way that made us jump . (something they did when playing sheephead, to trump or something like that). I lived with my grandparents until I was 4 years old. I remember feeling very loved by them. As I grew older I would go and spend a "summer vacation" with them. I enjoyed the time I spent with them, looking at photos, playing a lot of cards, going on walks, and rock hunts, picking apples and making every imaginable recipe with apples or rhubarb. My grandparents had blackberry bushes, and they were the largest blackberries I had ever seen. Usually I would go pick a nice size bowl of the berries, wash and stem them, then add some sugar to them and serve them up to my Grampa. Well, one day let's just say that the blackberries turned out extra special!!! I prepared the blackberries as usual, but instead of adding 1/2 cup of sugar, I accidentally grabbed the salt container (also a clear glass container) and add 1/2 cup of salt. Grampa's first bite told it all, and so did his German after he sputtered from his "sour" surprise! Grampa never did let me forget that special recipe, but he always re-told the story with a smile and a twinkle in his eyes. "Acck, vhat is in the blackberries", I still hear him saying that to this day! I miss having my Grandparents to go visit, and play cards with, and share memories with, but they are in my heart and mind ready for reminiscing anytime I choose.








1 comment: